Saturday, February 28, 2009

ONE OF MY FAVORITE THINGS


This old rug that I have framed and lighted hanging in my back hall is one of my favorite things.
This rug belonged to my father....or he claimed it because I threw it in the trash MANY years ago.
When I first got into "junk" I went to an auction at an old log cabin. You were there to buy the cabin BUT first they sold out each room's contents. I bought the entire kitchen for 5.00 dollars!! OMG!!!! I was so excited because there was a Hoosier cabinet in there and that's what I was really wanted (I used to be obessed with old kitchen cabinets)...the rest was just a bonus. I brought home a HUGE truck load of stuff..including this old rug.
When I got the stuff back to my parent's house and was digging through the treasures and discarding what I didn't want, I came to this rug. It was frayed around the edges and pretty dirty and to me at that time it was just JUNK and I didn't want to mess with cleaning it! I pitched it and my father latched on it.
When no one was looking he took some old roofing nails and attached it to the inside of the garage wall. My father claimed "his dog rug" was worth a fortune. For years and years he bragged out the now famous dog rug. It grew on my over the years and the fraying and dirt didn't seem that noticeable anymore but my father wouldn't give up his rug. It hung there for nearly 20 years.
He passed away a couple of years ago and we had to get the house cleaned out and sold. When I went into the garage I knew it was time for me to take "the dog rug" home. My husband built a simple frame for it and I cut most of the fraying away (which wasn't much at all) and now it hangs proudly over my desk with a light above it. Everytime I look at it, I smile and it reminds me of my father. I can still hear him laughing and bragging about his dog rug.

No comments: