Thursday, November 20, 2008

PLAYSCHOOL & BUSTED HEADS

What a day it's been. Today was "playschool" at Will's preschool. All and all we had a good day...til the end. I'll tell you about that later. During "circle time" Will got up on stage (middle of the circle shaped rug) when it was his turn and counted to ten!!!! I was so proud of him. He usually never does what all the other children do and certainly never "performs" and I can tell you this was one of the proudest moments a Mama could ever have. Like I've said before you really learn to appreciate the small stuff when you have a child on the autism spectrum. He also loved painting with Ms Marcy (his wonderful teacher who has soooooo much patience with him).

He even went and hugged a little girl named Cheyenne (Will loves the pretty girls)


Photobucket

Will & Ms Marcy

I was so glad that I saw him "trying" to interact with the children there. He still has a hard time with that but I have seen a big improvement since school started. We're really trying to work on his social skills. He had a few small meltdowns, but all and all it went good til...................

He was playing in one of the "centers"...I believe the living room area and he got his foot hung in a stool and fell and hit a bookshelf and when I turned around I saw blood just pouring out of his head. Of course, I was in panic mode. He was crying and screaming and we were trying to clean him up......and when we finally got enough blood wiped away it was that instant realization that he was going to have stitches!!! OMG!!!! It was a gash!!!!. Then I really started to panic in OVERDRIVE. Karl was out of town....actually in another state today and I kept thinking how is he going to handle a hospital and stitches...what am I going to do....and how was I going to do it by myself....and he was still crying and I was still trying to calm him but I was about ready to start crying with him. I was so scared and he was in so much pain and so scared and no amount of comforting seemed to be calming him down....and I didn't know what I was going to do. The school nurse looked at him and she agreed he did need stitches.....so off to the hospital we went. Thankfully the hospital is practically across the street from the school. We got right into the emergency room and the staff there was so good with him...of course I told them right off the bat he had autism. It just makes things easier for them to understand some of his behaviors though I think a typical child would have been upset too.....Anyway, they took a look at it and they thought they could "glue" it and he wouldnt' have to have stitches! What a relief..... So we got him layed on the table and got the gash cleaned (and that was another crying and screaming ordeal and him saying "need help, need help" over and over (which broke my heart) and they applied the glue and in about five minutes we were about ready to go. Just had all the PAPERWORK to fill out. And by the time it was over, he was beginnning to calm down. Thankfully we had grabbed a red and blue plastic star so he had something to comfort him.....(red and blue matching items is the best medicine for Will in upsetting situations) We ran back by the school to let them know he was okay.....and we came home and he's been in good shape and doesn't act like it's even bothering him now.

I guess this is just something I'll have to get used to....bumps and bruises are a normal part of being a kid....

No comments: