Thursday, March 5, 2009

NOTHING LIKE AN OLD FEATHER PILLOW






All my life I have slept on a feather pillow. That's the ONLY kind of pillow that my mother had in our house (EXCEPT for the ones she kept in her pillow shams and we were NEVER allowed to sleep on the shams. They were for "looks" only and got put in a chair at night along with the bedspread being folded down and NEVER used to cover up with) My mother took great pride in making her beds and they always looked as good as a picture in a catalog. She used to joke that you could bounce a quarter off of any bed she made. I never tried it, but they were always "perfect". I don't know how she did it because no matter hard I try my beds never look like hers did.


Every bed at our house always had a matched pair of feather pillows or a bolster pillow on them. Every summer Mama would empty the pillows (into an old pillowcase) and wash the ticking and then put the feathers back sometimes adding more feathers from other pillows that she had culled or I remember her even taking apart an old feather bed to get the feathers out and then "re-using" the ticking to make more pillows out of. She swore that the new ticking you bought was not like the old kind.


Even today if we go somewhere overnight I still take my trusty feather pillow with me.


I guess that's why I buy and sell so many feather pillows today...because they were a must in my house as a child and I can't imagine not sleeping on one. It's amazing how many different patterns and colors of ticking were used and how varied the pillow is in weight. I've had some so light and soft and then I've had some that were so heavy that you thought they might have stuffed in with bricks.


If you need any pillows make sure to check out my eBay store cause I always try to keep a big selection in there of all different weights and fabrics. I even have a few bolsters (though they are hard to find) and a feather bed or two! If you don't see what you like, drop me a line because I have a HUGE "pillow stash".



No comments: